Second Nature Online is proud to be one of the best known retailers of jute rugs in the UK. These versatile and sustainable products have been around for many years but they are unlikely to ever go out of fashion - in fact, they are a perfect fit for your home - and for the modern world!
Our GoodWeave certification assures buyers of the ethical source but if sustainability and carbon footprint is at the top of your 'must have' list then here are six great reasons to choose a jute rug.
- Renewable resource - Jute plants grow quickly and can be harvested multiple times per year.
- Chemical Free - Jute is naturally fire and pest resistant meaning that it can generally be grown and used without the use of pesticides, herbicides or chemicals.
- Hypoallergenic - Jute rugs are hypoallergenic, making them a good choice for people with allergies.
- Biodegradeable - Jute rugs will eventually break down naturally, so you can even try composing them or using them as a weed guard under soil.
- Low Energy - Jute rugs are handmade using traditional methods. This means low energy use as well as helping to support traditional crafts and communities.
- Low Carbon Footprint - Jute crops absorb more carbon dioxide than trees do! This helps towards our carbon reduction goals. They also emit high levels of oxygen - and that’s certainly a breath of fresh air!